As I have been working in tourism, DMC, event organisations, etc… since 1993, I used to believe to know well who is the typical tourist, what is his/her average need and how to make happy… well, since several years I realized how this sector is evolving at unprecedented pace and – if you wish to survive and grow – you need continuously to reinvent yourself and adapt to emerging trends.
This is one of the key reasons that made me to decide few years ago to do “the big jump” and set up a brand new company – Amazing Italy – to share the passion I have for my native land. Further to offer experiences across the entire country, we choose to focus on my beautiful city, Bologna, and give tourists the opportunity to discover the secrets of a friendly city, full of art, culture, history, and being the food and motor capital of Italy.
As every start-up, you need to be patient, develop your network, choose the right collaborators, identify and build strong relationship with local suppliers, and – mostly important – select what you can offer that the market does not yet provide (or if it does…give a good reason to your clients to choose you!!). With first quarter 2017 approaching the end, it is time for me to look back to 2016 and wrap up results achieved throughout the year, which marked the 3rd full year of this new adventure.
- More than 5.500 people joined one of our tours
- We welcomed guests coming from 42 different countries – from USA to Singapore; from Brazil to Japan; from South Africa to Singapore… and many more!!!!
- We launched several new products in order to offer our guests the possibility to fully enjoy what our beloved land is endowed with – the food and motor capital of Italy.
- We have expanded our team which includes very qualified professionals, licensed guides and certified suppliers.
- We collected more than 200 excellent reviews on Tripadvisor – check out here!!
2016 of course has not been perfect but paved the way for future developments. It is therefore time to sit down and grab the fruits of these achievements? Yes and No! TO ensure you continue offering a top professional service to your guests, it remains critical look back and understand key lessons learnt, emerging trends, key areas of strength (and mostly important where we still have to develop and build upon mistakes!)
These are – in my humble opinion – 5 important rules to follow
- Loot at your numbers – those tell you a lot (but not all…)
- Tourist needs change rapidly – but some traditional wishes are here to stay
- Being creative and innovative is great – but you need to be unique
- Details care is all (I know everyone claims to look at those… but it is not true)
- If your team is professional and good could not be enough – need to be engaged
Managing Director and co-founder
P.S. if you reach the end of this article – another important tip. Unfortunately, Italy is a place where professionalism and authorizations are not always respected. Illegals guides (and even worse unlicensed operators) are not a rare phenomenon in Italy – see this article – it is about Rome but applies everywhere in my country So check this out first…and always!!!